Background

9.13.2010

University is University, Wherever You Are

Whenever I stop and think about it, I can't really comprehend that I'm really in Scotland. At most, it feels like an extended vacation, because I haven't started school yet. I'm basically just learning how to get around, do my own grocery shopping, and budget money a bit more than last year.

I don't know what I was expecting, but somehow I thought that living in Scotland would somehow feel... constantly foreign, or that I'd feel like more of an outsider. Truth is, it feels a whole lot like any other university, just with people that talk funny (beautifully is more accurate). It helps a lot that everyone in my flat is international. I don't feel like the only one that came from far away to be here. I'm eager to make some Scottish friends, but that might have to wait until classes start in a week or two.

I still don't have a UK bank account or a cell phone, but I'm starting to get the hang of grocery shopping for myself. Something I haven't found yet that I really hope I can find somewhere are instant or boxed noodles. You know, like Top Ramen or Macaroni & Cheese (Easy Mac for you Canadians...). There's a fair amount of pre-made, packaged food, but in the little Tesco on Byers Road (pretty much a Safeway-type place) I haven't found a single box or bag of noodles. Plenty of pasta and sauce though, so I could make spaghetti, and in fact many of my flatmates do. Maybe I'll just have to cook more.

That's another thing I'm glad about. My flatmates really know how to cook. It's no stereotypical college flat here, with junk food lying everywhere and a kitchen that only smells like booze (not that they don't drink). Personally, I think it's because most of the people here are from Europe, where people would probably be more likely to learn to cook at a younger age. Even the Finnish guy here says there is barely any pre-made and packaged food back home.

I can't wait to make my favorite chocolate chip cookies for everyone.
~
Photo: A little shopping area close to my flat. A good bagel place and little convenience shops, but not a lot else. We usually walk about 10 minutes further to a place with more grocery stores, drug stores, banks, etc. I'm definitely getting my exercise here. And yes, there are a lot of houses and accommodation around this area that look like the buildings on the right and up above on the left. I think it's gorgeous.

No comments: