Background

9.07.2010

Beautiful Things

Yesterday, my mom was frustrated enough about our problems with the UK Border Agency that she contacted our Washington State Senators, Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, along with Congressman Jay Inslee. First thing this morning, Murray's office called us, asking for us to fax them a Privacy Release Form so they could help us. Later in the day, Cantwell's office called. It felt great to have powerful people on our side.

By midday, I was feeling worried and rather aimless. But I eventually got around to baking chocolate chip cookies--the last batch I'll make here, since we had only one more helping of chocolate chips. I listened to Buddha Bar music while I worked, and I started feeling a bit better.

When I went to check my email while I waited for the cookies to bake, I couldn't believe what I saw. I had an email from the UK Border Agency, telling me that "your application has been approved and the visa has been issued." They gave me a UPS tracking number, though saying it would not be activated for 1-2 business days, and to not make travel plans until I get my visa in hand. I don't know for sure whether it was the senators that helped with this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Now, I told all this to my dad. He went ahead and checked out the UPS tracking number, something I didn't think of doing (partly because I was dancing around the house in glee). It turns out, the number was already "activated," and they had sent it next day air!

So, tonight (apparently it's even the best time of the week to buy plane tickets), I will be figuring out when my flight is. It'll be either late tomorrow or on Thursday. Mom may or may not come, depending on if she thinks she can spend the money. We'll see. It certainly has snuck up on me, and now I have to power-pack my room.

After all this, I had delicious cookies waiting for me in the oven. I ate two to celebrate.
~
Photo: A white rose my mom bought the other day was blooming beautifully, and deserved some pictures. Also posted on deviantART (link on the left).

2 comments:

AFR said...

Glad it all worked out. And Buddha Bar is awesome!

paperbackdragon said...

Sure is! :D