Background

9.22.2010

Changing Tides

It feels like I haven't written anything new, fiction-wise, in a long time. It's understandable, considering I was working editing on a full-length novel for so long. Counting the short story on my other blog, it's really just been a month. I finally got my journal out though, and have been writing in that a little. Definitely not the three-pages-a-day I did over the summer, but enough that I get my thoughts sorted out. I hope all the future programming homework I'll have won't damper my will to write. Maybe I'll find the time for another short story. I just need ideas.

I read Neil Gaiman's blog the other day and wondered at how different life is for people, and how things change. Quickly, sometimes. Or most of the time. It sneaks up on you. A famous writer, roaming the world to show off his skill. Years ago, he was probably just like any other aspiring creative person. Wanting to make his mark, working hard at what he loved, hoping it would bring him success one day. And it certainly did.

Consider myself. A month ago, I was going to Starbucks every day, writing like a maniac, mostly being a loner. Lived in Seattle, at home, depended on my parents for food and shelter. Now, it's almost the opposite. I go to classes, I almost don't have time to write, I'm always surrounded by people, and I pay for my own food and shelter.

After all the ridiculous, stressful paperwork for applying for this school, for accommodation, for my visa, getting plane tickets, registering in classes... it's finally all done. I'm settled in. I'm here.

I don't think I was expecting how it turned out. But it's wonderful.
~
Photo: My view of the main building on campus. It honestly feels like I'm going to Hogwarts.

1 comment:

Rev. Maria Dancing Heart Hoaglund said...

Very Cool, Heather! I like your reflections... Life certainly does change very quickly for people sometimes, and it's about to for me, too -- next week :) love, mum