Background

9.15.2010

Food

I thought I'd spend a little time talking about food here in Scotland. I stopped at the fish counter in the grocery store today and noticed a few things. They're known for their salmon (which reminds me of home), so they have quite a few choices of that. They had less shellfish, and I didn't see any prawns, which I love. Perhaps I didn't look in the right place for it, but they might not have much of it here.

I've been told they have a very small asian influence, so I will have to ask my parents to send things from Uwajimaya (the asian market chain in Washington). I'm still contemplating a rice cooker, since I've been eating instant rice for a few days now. I have yet to see if they have good noodles.

I also took a look at their peanut butter. None of it looked as appealing as Skippy or Jif back home, so I decided to stick with cheese (which is very good here, though I suppose it is everywhere). I was also sad to find they didn't carry Fuji apples, my favorite kind from home. But they've got other good things.

I haven't tried haggis yet, but my flatmates say it's very good. They say, don't ask what's in it. Just eat it, and it's delicious. I'm going to make it a point to try it soon, perhaps if I go out to eat.

I've seen Domino's, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and Starbucks. The daily coffee is still Pike Place.
~
Photo: A church-turned-pub near the shopping area that's close to my flat. The ring around the tower lights up at night and helps you find your way around. Notice the cars driving on the opposite side of the road.

No comments: