Background

9.11.2010

Scotland, Day One

Let me just start out by stating there is SO MUCH to say. But I can't put it all in one blog post. Though I might try.

The trip over, my first flight/travel alone, was... intense. The flight to LA was nice. At first I sat by a woman with a little dog, but she wanted a seat for him (and there wasn't much space) so I offered to move. Then I sat by another woman who was sort of talkative, and it felt good to connect with someone on such a long, lonely trip.

LA was horrible. The line for security was nearly two hours long (apparently they're usually long, but not that long), and I was very glad I had the time I did. I got to the gate just as they began boarding. My back is still in a lot of pain from carrying my heavy laptop backpack for those two hours. And for standing in other lines that followed, that weren't quite as bad.

My 10-hour flight from LA to London was interesting. I didn't sit by very talkative people: a slightly older woman than me and an old man who didn't speak much english, his wife sat across the aisle and his language sounded maybe slavic. The in-flight entertainment was amazing, we had tons of movies and TV and music to choose from, that could be played exactly when we wanted. I watched Moulin Rouge! and Letters to Juliet to help me stay in good spirits. We got free dinner and breakfast, plus tea, coffee, and cold drinks. The flight attendants all seemed to be Australian or New Zealanders (since it was, understanadbly, Air New Zealand). I didn't sleep much, but I rested for a while.

Next was London. It was fine through customs until I needed to write the address of where I was staying, and I didn't have the exact address yet, nor the general one with me. My iPod Touch wouldn't connect to the free WiFi at the airport, either. I started freaking out. I went to the nearest people--a really nice Canadian couple standing in line--and after embarrassing myself by starting to cry, they sort of took me under their wing and stayed with me through all the lines of security. They were going to Glasgow too, but ended up on another flight and I didn't really get to say goodbye. In Heathrow, though, I overheard some conversations. "Hi" was frequently "Hiya" and "Goodbye" was usually "Cheers." Friendly folks.

The flight from London to Glasgow was amazing. Somehow, I got bumped up to Flex Economy, or unknowingly paid for it. Whatever it was, it was worth it. I got free food (economy had to pay): I chose a small tin of pringles (they called them "crisps", but yes, they DO have pringles) and a "chicken and stuffing" sandwich. It was basically chicken with mayo and spinach. It was good, and I needed food. I got the window seat, and had the whole seat beside me open, with one other woman on the third seat. The flight was quick and easy. England and Scotland are gorgeous from above, very green and pastoral. None of that brown land you frequently see in the US.

In Glasgow, I thought I got my bags in time for the free transport to Murano Street Student Village, but I couldn't find the bus, so I took a taxi. The guy was nice, definitely Glaswegian. I could see hills all around us outside the very flat city. Or at least it felt that way, since Seattle is definitely not flat.

Getting my flat was fairly easy, even though there was a slight room mix-up. There were lots of older students around helping people move in, since today was the first official move-in day. Most international people are here already, though. After unpacking, I started feeling really out of place. No one (I thought) was moved in yet, and everyone talked funny, and why did I decide to do this in the first place? Two of those helper people came by, two girls, and consoled me. What can I say, this whole thing was stressful. But just then, people came by who apparently had moved in already, and told us everyone was out on city tours.

Soon after, I met all 10 of my other flatmates. The 11 of us share two tiny fridges, two tiny freezers, two stoves, two single shower rooms, and two single bathrooms. Everyone is international, from America to Sweden to France to New Zealand. There are one or two more guys than girls, but they're all nice people, and I think we're going to have a blast.

That's all for now... soon off to the grocery store and the one-pound store to do some much needed shopping!
~
Photo (top): Amazing view of Mt. Ranier above Washington State.

Photo (middle): Lake Tahoe in California said hello on my way to LA.

Photo (bottom): My first view of the British countryside when the clouds cleared enough to see it. It was very cloudy, but I suppose it typically is here.

2 comments:

Miztiry said...

i am so excited to read all your posts!! i feel like i can live through your experience while I prepare to go to Scotland as well! :)

paperbackdragon said...

Yay! I like being reminded that people enjoy reading my blog. :D Good luck with all your preparations!!