Background

5.22.2011

When In Philly...

I'm now at Philadelphia Airport, finishing my first ever Philly cheesesteak. I feel a bit sick, though it tasted good. The first thing I noticed after leaving the plane was the humidity, despite the temperature not being that high. This didn't make the coffee I got at the cheesesteak place any more enjoyable. I maybe should have bought a cold drink.

The flight was long but not horrible. I got very few hours of sleep last night so I kept dozing off... only to be repeatedly woken up by flight attendants asking me if I wanted a drink or a snack. I kept thinking I'd fallen asleep for an hour or so, but slowly realized it was only half-hour spurts. The flight was about 7 hours when I mistakenly thought it was going to be 5. I've got one more flight in 6 hours that's 5 hours long. I'll be happy when I arrive in AZ.

One thing I was confused about on the plane was when they ask you to turn off all electronics, "anything with an on/off switch." Is this strictly necessary? Isn't the problem cell phone interference rather than say, a kindle (with wifi turned off, even)? Is this some sort of way around explaining exactly why we need to turn off electronics, for the people whom it would confuse?

Also, as is expected these days, I'm getting annoyed by how many stages of security there are. In Glasgow I went through regular security and had someone ask me if "anyone had given me bags to carry," etc. Then when I got to Philadelphia, I had to go through immigration, take my bag from baggage claim, go through customs, give someone my bag to put on the plane to AZ, and go through regular security again. I just walked off a plane! How am I going to acquire anything dangerous between the plane and security?

Frustrations aside, now I've got plenty of time to chill. I think I'll either do some Fill-In puzzles, read, or take advantage of this free wifi and continue with Project Euler.

No comments: