Background

5.21.2011

Freedom

Exams are over. It's a strange feeling, since I've felt the burden of either assignments, dissertation writing, or exam studying since September. So strange, in fact, that I had to start working on something again. I chose to start reviewing the C++ programming language since I'll probably be using it in my internship in a couple of weeks.

I'm reviewing it using the problems on Project Euler. It's a set of math-based problems that are too complex to easily solve on paper or with a simple calculator, and so programming is the best way to go about solving them. One reason people do the problems is to learn new programming languages, and so I thought it would be useful to use. I started doing them a few months ago to learn Python, and got to problem 5. There are over 300 in total. Over the past 24 hours or so, I've done the first 5 again in C++. It must be my way of dealing with studying withdrawal. Or perhaps I'm tired of learning theory and am ready to apply my knowledge. Either way, I feel fairly productive and have had fun.

On the left sidebar of my blog you can see a picture from the Project Euler site depicting my progress. I'm not sure how much programming I'll do over the next few weeks, but you'll most likely see that number go up over the course of the summer.

Tomorrow morning I leave for the US. I might manage a blog when I have my hopefully pain-free 7 hour layover in Philadelphia.

No comments: