Background

5.26.2011

Heat

Yesterday morning, mom and I went on a walk to Dreamy Draw, a local park and hiking/biking path. I particularly liked this cactus. It's been very hot and is getting hotter, with tomorrow's forecasted high at 100F/38C. Thankfully that looks like the highest it will get, as it will start cooling down after that. Our plan is to hang out in the mall and movie theater all day and take advantage of the AC.

My mom's reasons for moving to Arizona were in no small part influenced by the weather. In Washington she started getting tired of the wet and the clouds. By contrast, I grew up in it. When people ask me, "How are you doing with this weather?" in Scotland, expecting me to say, "Horribly," I can happily say, "Seattle is just like this. It's not a problem at all, I'm used to it. I like the rain."

Now, after a long winter and mostly wet spring, I did feel ready to visit the sun for a couple of weeks. I'm doing all right so far, though I'm noticing the beginnings of a sunburn today, probably from the Japanese garden we visited and walked around a lot (more on that tomorrow). I expect that by the end of the two weeks I'll be ready for cool weather. But right now, I'm enjoying wearing shorts, eating ice cream, and not getting hit by cold air when leaving a store.

No comments: