Background

2.29.2012

Book Review #4: Don't Panic

Book 4: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

Many of us have heard bits and pieces of the story, but perhaps not the whole thing. Arthur Dent is a man living in England whose house is about to be torn down to build a highway. While he is busy worrying about it, his friend Ford Prefect -- who is actually an alien -- tries to convince him that the end of the world is coming. Shortly thereafter, a spaceship shows up to demolish the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass. After the planet's untimely demise, Arthur becomes a hitchhiker, like Ford. They travel space together, having adventures and evading danger.

The book is short, with a lot packed in. Everything about it is funny. Before things ever get too serious, the narrator makes a comment to make it lighthearted again. The first time I tried to read it, I got about halfway through and then was distracted reading other things. This time, I was convinced by my friends to give it another try, and so re-read it from start to finish. It's definitely enjoyable, and lightweight enough that I can get bits read here and there while still having a very busy university life. Soon, I want to read a more involved book, but right now I just don't have the time. This is not the only book in the trilogy, either, and I plan to read all five. Yes, five books in a trilogy. A taste of the author's writing style. I've been told that if you like Monty Python, you'll enjoy it. Personally, I enjoyed it more than Monty Python.

Stay tuned for reviews of the rest of the books. And remember to bring your towel.

No comments: