Background

2.16.2012

Book Review #2: If You Like Suspense...

I've been keeping up with my 25 book goal for the year fairly well, but I seem to be getting behind with the reviews. I finished this book just over a month ago, right after the holiday break. If you're interested, I wrote a review of the previous book in the series as well.

Book 2: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson

Yet again, Larsson proves he can write a great suspense thriller. It follows the separate investigations of the police, government, and secretive journalists, as well as the criminals behind the overarching plotline of the whole series. This book's first 100 or so pages weren't anywhere as slow as the first or second books'; however, it doesn't have the same climactic action scenes as the first two books, which to some may be undesirable. However, given all the danger, sneaking around, and dramatic irony, together with the fact that I wanted the bastards behind the whole crime put away so badly, it kept me hooked until the end. It only took me about a week to read this book's 600 pages.

This entire series has been excellent. If all you've heard about it is the rape scene in the first book and that's keeping you away, you are sorely missing out. There is so much to the story, the heroes and heroines are clever and likable (Lisbeth is so badass), and once you're in, it'll keep you on the edge of your seat. I wish I could look forward to more books, but Larsson isn't with us anymore. I'll just have to keep on the lookout for more good books in the crime/drama/thriller genre. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

No comments: