Background

2.21.2012

Book Review #3: A Cozy Cat Crime Novel

This next book I read slowly over the course of January, while my classes began and I got back into "university mode." I received it as a gift from my godmother for Christmas. She's a cat lover, a quilter, a crossword puzzler, and a great snail-mail pen pal in this age of technology. I don't get many books as gifts when I don't know they're coming; I always enjoy it.

Book 3: Cat Coming Home, by Shirley Rousseau Murphy

This is exactly the sort of book that's fun to read around Christmas. It's a fairly standard crime novel, not too gory or violent, with a fantastical twist--the cat "detectives" can talk. Corny as that may sound and unrealistic as it is, it was a fun read. I've never read any cat-solves-the-crime sorts of books, though I know many exist, and I'm glad I finally did. Good for when you don't want something too involved or deep, but still interesting enough to sink your teeth into.

It's by no means a literary masterpiece, but it did keep me interested enough to read to the end. I probably won't seek out more of this kind of book on my own (particularly because there are so many more books I've been meaning to read), but if I come across one by chance, I might give it a try.

No comments: