Background

2.12.2012

The Gut-Feeling Coin Toss

You've likely heard of the coin-tossing technique to help you make a decision. Pick one side of a coin to mean yes, you'll do it, you'll go through with the decision, and the other to mean no. Flip it. If the outcome makes you feel uneasy, or unhappy, it probably means you should do the opposite. The process helps you decipher your gut feeling on the matter.

I feel like I've done this, on a bigger scale. I decided yes, I want to go to the US after graduation, absolutely. I want to get a job there and possibly stay indefinitely. Then, Microsoft got back to me and told me nicely that no, there are no positions available for my skills. I had been hoping too much to get the job, completely ignoring that new grads would have a tough time getting into such a huge, long-established company. I wasn't sure anymore that this was what I wanted. I started to understand that gut feeling.

The next day I went to a presentation at my uni by a small software company based in Glasgow. They make 3D imaging software for engineers in the oil and gas industry, to understand the shape, density, etc. of oil reservoirs underground. Despite my reservations about working in that field, it opened my eyes to other possibilities. They came across as a friendly, well-organized company that were doing well and would be a great start for a young Computing Science graduate. In a small company, I would have more influence in decisions and my job wouldn't be rigidly defined; I could work on a number of things that I'd have the skills for.

Ultimately, I realized I might not be ready to leave the UK. I've made friends here, and am still making more and strengthening the ones I have. I've moved around a lot my whole life and am getting tired of starting over again. I'll likely have to do it eventually, but if I can keep it at bay, I will. I also have a boyfriend here who would have a very hard time getting a work visa in the US, since he'd essentially need to be at the very top of his class, have a PhD, or marry me. He--and I--aren't prepared for any of those things.

I've also spent a good year and a half here and still haven't managed to travel much. If I stayed, I could do all the traveling that work would allow--and that would definitely be more than employers in the US offer. The rest of the UK, Ireland, and Europe are a cheap flight or train ride away, and I'm still young and able to travel and see the world.

All of this has been rattling around my head lately, and I think I've finally made a decision. Job market allowing, I'll go with the other side of the coin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find that the moment I toss the coin, I think to myself "heads, heads, heads". Usually makes it obvious what I really want.