Background

12.30.2010

Shawn O'Donnells

The other night, I went to an American Grill/Irish Pub called Shawn O'Donnells and thought it was worth comparing to the pubs I've been to in Scotland. Not that I've been to an Irish one, but there must be similarities.

It's a pretty Americanized place, for all its advertisement as an "Irish Pub." I don't think it's typical to have shamrocks everywhere, and a countdown to St. Patrick's day by the bar. American football was on TV. They had mac & cheese on the menu, which I've come to understand is an American thing, despite the fact the menu says "Irish Whisky Macaroni & Cheese."

I ordered their corned beef and cabbage dinner (with mashed potatoes), which came with soup or salad, and I chose to have the "Irish Clam Chowder." Again, not quite sure what made it Irish but it was all delicious. It also came with a side of Irish Soda Bread, which is not quite cake, not quite bread, but something better, inbetween. Dad got the fish & chips, which was also good but was different from what I've had in the UK, perhaps a different sort of fish or batter.

As for drinks, I was sad to see they didn't carry any cider, that I could see on the menu anyway. Hard cider, for those Americans reading this. There's a favorite among my Scottish friends called Magners Irish Cider, which I think would be worth them carrying, if only because it's Irish. They do have Guinness though, which they over-advertise, and my dad got a pint, which I tried a bit of. A little too strong for my taste, but I guess it usually is for people.

I've come here in the morning before, and their scramble with corned beef is delicious as well. So it's worth a stop, but don't expect anything too "authentically" Irish.

No comments: