Background

7.01.2010

Trends

The color purple has been on my mind lately. Not the book, the color. My new luggage is purple, and two of the four t-shirts I bought the other day are some shade of purple. For the longest time, it was only my mom's color, as if she owned it. Every day she wears something purple, and many days, her whole outfit is that color. She could definitely be described as "the purple lady." If you ever see her, you'll know why. Shoes, blazers, scarfs, you name it. For the longest time, I must have felt that wearing or using purple myself would seem like I'm copying her. I don't have too many purple things, and I've affirmed many times that my favorite color is blue. I'm pretty sure it still is. But now, I'm okay to use purple. Perhaps I'm seeing purple as an awesome color in its own right, no matter what my mom thinks of it. Or, perhaps I'm subconsciously realizing that soon I will be having my big move away from home, and I want to have reminders of her around me. Probably a combination of the two.

I don't really know why, but suddenly, three of my friends have started blogs! I feel like a trend-setter (but it's possible this coincidence has nothing to do with me). Bear with me, I want to give each of them a short introduction. From Aardvarks to Zygotes is a sort of opinionated blog, with entries that aim to spark conversation and argument about anything and everything, not without a bit of humor. Of Masks and Martians is a blog by a friend who is very interested in actors, movies, and British TV shows, which the entires will mostly be about. Last but not least, in love and war doesn't really have a theme, but is by a friend currently deciding between majoring in biology or English, and I expect it will be an interesting read. I send them all good wishes, because I know how hard it is to continue blogging after the coolness of beginning one wears off. I look forward to posts from all of them, but go check them out yourself!

Now, off to try to get more writing done today, alas without a coffee shop to put me in the right mood...

Happy Canada Day, and Happy July!

Photo: Between floats at the pride parade. Converse is another trend that I hope will never go out of style.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe since your mom always wears purple you associate that color purely with her. So now, when you're going far far away it's okay to have purple, cause it reminds you of her?

just my thoughts. <3

paperbackdragon said...

Haha, I think that hit the nail on the head. :) I like liking purple now. Its preety.

Katherine Grace Bond said...

This made me a little misty-eyed. Must be the mother-daughter thing. I have my baby home for the summer, but it won't be that way much longer.