Background

7.25.2010

Rattlesnake Ledge

I hadn't gone hiking in months, and I had a free day with my dad today, so we decided to go. My dad went on a hike a few weeks earlier to Rattlesnake Ledge with a group of friends, and so he suggested we try it again. The hike was very popular, and we passed by people speaking many different languages. Most I couldn't make out, but I recognized German, more Eastern European ones, and some Asian ones. Dad speculated that it was because this hike was popular with tourists. Or perhaps, this area was more diverse than I thought. There were crazy people that ran the whole way up and down, old folks in great shape maneuvering with hiking poles, large families, small groups of friends, couples, and what I guessed was a boy scout group of some kind. There were lots of kids and dogs. Some people nod to you, some smile and say hi, some only glance. I like people-watching on hikes as much as I do at coffee shops.

The views at the top were just spectacular. It was a large rocky ledge, with almost 360 degree panoramic views of the Snoqualmie River valley and the gorgeous Rattlesnake Lake below at the trailhead. Even the ledge was packed with people. There was a large crevasse in the middle, and you had to be careful when you jumped over it (if you were brave) or went around it (if you weren't). While we sat and enjoyed the view and some trail mix--which is always necessary on a hike--we met a dog whose owner had been to Glasgow once. He shared a story about how he got lost and stopped in Glasgow for direcitons, but for the life of him couldn't understand this Pakistani man with a thick Glaswegian accent. Near the end of the climb to the ledge I was exhausted, but I surpsied myself at how quickly a 4-mile round-trip hike went by, with less pain and breathlessness than I expected. The way down was really easy. If you're ever in Seattle, look this place up. It's worth a visit.

Also, yesterday, I completely filled my first 70-page notebook, the one I started three years ago. I decided I want to try and fill up an entire new one before I leave in September, so that Scotland will have its own notebook. If I do 3 pages of freewriting a day, I should be able to do it! Now that I've told you, hopefully I'll be more likely to do it... Tomorrow, I am thus going to start a new notebook, which I always love doing... I chose the orange one, by the way. If you were wondering.

Photo: Part of the view of the Snoqualmie River valley from the top of Rattlesnake Ledge.

No comments: