Background

7.05.2010

America

I don't know about you, but my July 4th was spectacular. For the first time in many years, I was in Seattle on Lake Union to see the fireworks. I think it was the best fireworks show I've ever seen. Sure, there are good ones on TV; they're even set to music. But nothing can compare to the fireworks exploding all across the sky above you, the booms so loud you can feel them. And they definitely have improved fireworks technology from the last time I saw a live show. There were some pretty incredible ones. I was very lucky to be invited with my dad to a friend's houseboat, and at the end of the pier, we had the best front row seat. They lit the fireworks from a barge on the lake, and our view was exactly perpendicular to the barge. We could see Gas Works Park in the distance, where people were gathered and they were playing music to the fireworks, but we could barely hear it over the noise of the explosions. I sadly had decided to not bring my camera, and at times I wish I'd brought it. There's something to be said, though, for not having to deal with a camera. To fully experience things without worrying about a mechanical device, or how the picture looks.

This Independence Day was special to me for various reasons, apart from the fireworks. I watched them with a few kids around, and that really changed the feel of things. One little boy kept asking his dad questions: "How do they make it do that?" and, "How long are these going for?" in surprised excitement. It helped me remember what it was like to be a kid and watch fireworks, how magical it was. The other thing that mad me feel warm inside was the singing. When the fireworks show was about to begin, you could hear people from other houseboats drunkenly singing the national anthem. It didn't matter to them that it wasn't in key. They sang with gusto. Then after the show, I could hear people singing "Happy Birthday," inserting "America" for the name of the person. I hadn't been around this much patriotism on the 4th in a long time, and it did make me a little more proud of our American customs. I'm not usually that much of a patriot, but that night I was. Barbecues, friends and family, big shows and pretty lights. It's what we're all about.

Photo: I didn't get any shots this year of fireworks, so I dug through my pictures and found one I took last year on the 4th, over Lake Sammamish.

2 comments:

RMN said...

"AMERICA AMERICAAAA AMERICA AMERICA AMERICA!!! The States...." -- Hugh Laurie

It sounds like you had a great time! I always kinda wished I could set one of those big ones off. Or that we had the kind of fireworks they have in LotR. :D

paperbackdragon said...

yay for Fry and Laurie! :P And yeah, the fireworks in LotR would be amazing to have. :)