Background

1.24.2010

A Bit Of Studying... And Clubbing

This weekend I had a simple assignment for my mythology class at the library, basically an intro to the library system so that we know how to use it when we get research papers in future classes. Despite the tediousness of some of the questions (find the call numbers for Greek literature), I have to say I had a lot of fun browsing through old books. It was crazy, the number of old volumes that I could pick up and not know a word of because it was in Greek, or Latin, or French. And all the tattered, faded covers! It almost made me want to have a research paper to do, so that I could have an excuse to look through the books more often. Almost.

And, on the other end of the spectrum... I went clubbing for the first time last night. At first I wasn't even planning on going, but then my friends started running out of people to go with them, and I thought of something to wear, and soon I was getting ready to go. I mean, I'm legal in Canada, I might as well see what it's like, since I've heard good things!

On the way there I was nervous, naturally. It didn't help that the person with us that had gone clubbing the most had the most to drink beforehand. I'd chosen to not have any at all. Personal choice. She was quite tipsy, so she wasn't able to help quell my anxiety. But we got there and inside the club smoothly, no hitches beside my friend trying to remember which bus stop it was near. The minute the bouncers finished checking my ID, I started down the steep staircase, feeling the booming music, and forgot how loud it was going to be. When I realized this, much of my fear went away. Nothing like loud music to get rid of any awkward arriving-at-a-party feelings. And, nothing like feeling the bass vibrate through your body to get yourself moving to the music. The music was all techno that night, with some popular songs and a lot of bass. Which I was quite happy about.

There were a few creepy guys, lets face it, you have to deal with that at a club. But according to one of my friends, they weren't as persistent as they were last time. Course, there were some cute ones too. But most were taken. Hours of dancing and awesome music passed, with some sitting and some drinking (none by me).

We left when things started dying down. It took entirely too long get a cab afterward, since we were in the clubbing section of town and things were starting to wrap up everywhere. We were tired of waiting, so we wandered to where we thought there was a bus stop. The bus didn't come there that late, though. Lo and behold, we found a Blenz Coffee that was open at 3am. I didn't know any coffee shops stayed open that late! But we stopped and warmed up, and finally when we called this time, a cab showed up. We got in, had a fun conversation with the cab driver on the way back, and got back to our rooms, exhausted. Fun times.

And as for writing this weekend, I had to give myself a break. I've been feeling stressed and a bit homesick, and I had other work to do. Including watching the crazy awesome Saints vs. Vikings football game. ;)

Photo: A lunar new year display at the T&T, an Asian superstore in Vancouver. Sorry, this has nothing to do with either studying or clubbing. But it was such a cool display, I had to get a picture of it when I went shopping! That's a whole dragon, by the way, not just a head. So. Cool.

No comments: