Background

1.10.2010

Getting Back To Writing

It all started with this amazing door-size dragon poster I found at the poster sale here on campus. My friends suggested I buy it, and I wasn't sure I wanted to, since it was a tad expensive and I had little room on my wall for it. But I decided to buy it anyway, and a friend helped me stick it to my ceiling, above my bed. Now, I wake up to an amazing picture of a burning castle at night, a dragon in the foreground with a moon behind it, and a man with a long overcoat and a sword overlooking it all. I got to talking with my friends about how inspired it made me feel to write, and I got one of my friends inspired to write in the process. That in turn made me want to pick up writing my story again, and... here I am, writing the ending to the first draft of my novel.

It will take a little while to write the ending, as so much has to happen. But at least I've started it. I'm sure I'll have to do many revisions of this after I finish, and I'm a little daunted by the work. However, I know that very few people who want to be writers manage to finish anything, let alone finish the first draft of a novel. I'll be celebrating in no time. Right now, I'm trying to do 500 words a day on the weekend, and as much as I can during the week. 500 words may be too much do to every single day. Yesterday I started writing and got 700 words done, and today I got 600 more done. I seem to get on a roll after the first 500. With my "writing music" playing in the background (Loreena McKennitt, David Arkenstone, Enya, Noirin ni Riain, the LotR soundtrack, and more), it feels so good to write. I feel at home.

Photo: A gorgeous view of the mountains from the ferry, from my recent trip back home over winter break.

Link: Small picture of my new poster.

2 comments:

Arwud Hasan said...

Nothing is more inspiring than a dragon poster and David Arkenstone in the background.

paperbackdragon said...

For sure! Have you heard Arkenstone's music before, then? It's so great :D