Background

5.22.2007

To Share Or Not To Share?

I enjoy writing stories, but I appreciate people reading my work even more. The other day I read an interview with Philip Pullman, author of the His Dark Materials series, The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. They're quite intriguing if you've never read them. One of his comments struck me, about sharing his work. He never shows anyone what he's writing, until he's completely finished. He compared sharing his work with explaining a dream, saying, "You know what it's like when you try and tell someone what your dream is like? It's so boring because it evaporates in the telling somehow." I realized that this is true for me when I explain my writing, that the sense of awe, wonder, or terror I want to get across never comes out right. Perhaps I can stay with one writing project longer if I don't try to explain it.

Photo: Half of a crab shell that I found on Mukilteo Beach. I wonder how it stayed intact?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should keep with the picture thing! its cool and it makes it more interesting! plus you are a good photographer and i like to see the pics of interesting things you take :]