Background

11.11.2010

How Do You Measure Success?

I just finished watching the Harry Potter 7 live premiere online, where they showed interviews with a lot of the actors, the main director, producer, and of course J.K. Rowling.

The whole thing always astounds me. All this started as just an idea in a woman's mind. She sat on a train, looked out the window, saw some cows, and it came to her. She chose to run with it, writing on napkins and eventually typing the final draft twice on a typewriter. Years later, her stories are a sensation.

What makes a story like that touch so many people? Is it the writing itself? I've heard people say no, that J.K. Rowling isn't necessarily a literary genius. Is it the story, the connections and similarities we feel with the characters? The excitement we had as kids, reading about a hidden magic world, and the possibility of it being real? I have to admit, when I was 11, I wished with all my heart I would get a letter from Hogwarts.

The truth of it all is, though, we can't go looking for this kind of impact or fame. Either a story has it or it doesn't, and it's not a strict formula. Despite my desire to be a part of something bigger, I have to write for myself or I won't find any sort of satisfaction. It's a ton of work, but I can't pin my hopes on touching so many lives. It's got to be for me. And it is, mostly. I just can't help wishing sometimes.

I think about this kind of thing whenever I watch movies or read books that are widely seen and read. It's hard for me not to compare. There is so much left to do with my book(s) that it's easy to get overwhelmed (perhaps I should start considering this a "series"...). But it's not something I plan to leave behind.

I'm strangely looking forward to getting home and being able to print out the entire first book again, so I can start Edit Number Three, where I start to fine-tune language and such. Not that it's going to be the last revision. But I've got three tough weeks ahead of me, schoolwork-wise, so who knows how much writing I'll get done.

Right. Back to computer programming mode and the homework I should be doing.
~
Photo: Especially after watching the premiere, I'm super excited for the new movie. I might just have to find a way to see it before I get home for Christmas. It'll be like a birthday present for myself...

1 comment:

Rev. Maria Dancing Heart Hoaglund said...

Glad you got to see the preview/interviews for the next Harry Potter, Heather. Sounds like it stirred some things in you -- not unlike what's happening to me at Master Sha's Intensive! Looking forward to seeing you again before long! luv, Dancing heart~~~