Background

8.19.2010

The Paper Bag Princess

In the past few days, I've been considering changing my twitter username. @robotofdoom is a rather dead inside joke for me now, and it doesn't really reflect who I am. I also want to make this name consistent across all the other social networking sites I use, including blogger. I want a name that sticks, like @coollike and @nerimon have (who are worth looking into). As I mentioned in my last blog, I've also been starting to collect dragon things. So, I want to have my name be dragon-themed, if possible.

While I was brainstorming about this new online name, I remembered the children's book I used to read and love, the Paper Bag Princess. I forgot the story, so I went and looked it up. It's the typical save-the-girl-from-the-dragon story, but with a gender role switch. Prince Ronald, the betrothed of Princess Elizabeth (which is my middle name, interestingly enough) is taken away by the dragon. The dragon also burns all her clothes, so she is forced to wear a paper bag. Princess Elizabeth tricks the dragon into flying around the world, burning all the forests, but then the dragon tires out and sleeps, and she is able to sneak into its lair and take back Prince Ronald. But by this time, her prince does not think she looks like a princess anymore. So, she leaves him behind, deciding she's better off without him.

I'm falling in love with this story all over again, so I thought of making my new name @paperbagdragon. But I realized that rhymes with @paperbackdragon, which I think I like better. I prefer paperback books to hardback books, and I like to horde them like a dragon hordes jewels.

Look out for my new "handle," paperbackdragon.

No comments: