Background

10.20.2009

Poetry

De-stressing seems to be the one thing I've been doing the most lately. With all the exams, piles of homework, and things to do, it's easy to get overwhelmed. One thing that's helped me is listening to music. When I walk to class, I take my iPod along with me. I find that time the easiest to worry; I'm by myself and have time to think. The music helps me to divert my attention. Another thing that's helped? Finding out my next exam isn't until the week after I thought it was. That was a load off my shoulders.

On another note, I've been trying my hand at poetry for my creative writing class. I had the option to do prose, which is what I do the most, but I thought I'd give poetry a try instead. I've found it to be a bit more satisfying--you're done sooner, you can play with words and form, and explore a wider range of topics. Maybe I'll do more of it after this assignment.

Speaking of my creative writing class, I've been looking forward to today. John K. Samson from the Canadian indie rock band The Weakerthans and his wife Christine Fellows are coming to my class to talk about songwriting! I can't wait...

Photo: The gorgeous Nitobe Garden. Free for students. Can it get any better?

No comments: