Background

7.06.2011

Non-materialism

If you could own one thing you don’t currently have, what would it be?

I've deliberated over this for a little while now and am realizing there's not much in the way of material possessions that I want. If you asked me right now what I wanted for Christmas or my birthday, I couldn't tell you. Everything I seem to want is non-physical and needs time rather than money... more friends, the 3rd draft of my novel, to get to do what I want to at work, to read more, to do more programming in my spare time. I could maybe do with a new phone, but to be honest I can afford to get one when I'm ready.

Of course, it'd be nice to find my camera charger, USB cord, and iPod wall adapter. They disappeared somewhere between Arizona, my old flat, and my new flat.

I should consider myself lucky, I suppose. Recently I've been reminded many times that I'm probably one of the richest people in the world. I don't mean that at all in a haughty way. If you have a decent place to live, with running water and electricity, enough money for food, clothing, and simple living, you're also one of the richest people in the world. And you're extremely lucky if you can get a good education, or have a decently paying job. If you enjoy it, too? Well, you're pretty much in paradise.

No comments: