Background

7.05.2011

Forums and Roofs

Today I got stuck at work and decided to post a programming question online. Hasn't been solved yet, but people have been nice about it, and my code is apparently not horrible. This inspired me to look around for forums that I might be able to contribute to. So far I've made accounts at stackoverflow.com for programming questions, and writingforums.org for creative writing questions. Haven't found any programming things I can help with, as many are obscure things you can't find easily through googling, but I've posted a couple times on the creative writing forum and hope it turns out to be a fun way to keep up my writing.

Find the nearest window. Look outside. What is the most interesting thing you see? What is the least interesting thing? If you don’t have a window, close your eyes and imagine one: what do you see when you look through it?

At my boyfriend's flat, the most interesting thing I can see out the window is the sky. It's blue with a few clouds, and pretty much still bright like midday. It's just about 9pm. Don't be fooled, though, it was raining this morning. It's light so late here, even compared to Seattle. I didn't think it would be much of a difference, but it really takes till at least 11 for it to get really dark. I may be remembering incorrectly, but this feels later than in the Seattle area.

Least interesting thing? Everything else. It's all roofs, and from my perspective you can't even see any windows. I almost considered making the roofs the interesting thing, but how interesting can I make a shed roof and the distant shingles of a row of flats?

I'll give it a try. A large shed roof: gray metal with evenly spaced raised edges, interspersed with big screws to hold it together. A dirty sock thrown on the side that's been there since the first day I was here, and green and brown stained gutters. The sky? A boring blue.

No comments: