Background

6.01.2011

The Hot, Dry Desert

I experienced it like never before yesterday, hiking the Boynton Canyon Trail. Mom and I chose it because the pamphlet said "easy, 2.5 miles one way." We chose not to bring water (looking back, I don't really know why we didn't prepare more) or food. I think we figured it wouldn't take very long.

It started out great. Lizards and butterflies everywhere, looming red rock all around us. After a while, we figured it had been two miles, and asked someone how much farther. They said it was another 3/4 of a mile. After a time, we asked again, and they said it was another mile--some local had told them the park people moved the trailhead without updating the pamphlets (or the website, apparently, which I checked today).

Turns out the hike was more like 4 miles one way. And at the end, the path was really steep and rather treacherous if we weren't careful. In addition, the bees, of which there were plenty once we got to the trees, really bugged me... I hate their buzzing, it brings on a fight or flight response in me that I can barely control.

Thankfully there was a kind couple at the top who gave us the rest of their water (which wasn't much but we thoroughly enjoyed all the same). The views at the top were really amazing, pretty much worth the trek up there. Along the way wasn't bad either... I'm sure it would have been more enjoyable if we'd been more prepared. We literally walked between high red rock walls, inside a canyon. It started out as a desert area, then bushes and a few trees, and then a forest, with a quick, steep climb to the top.

The walk back was painful. Literally, for mom. She lost her footing and fell forward at one point, thankfully landing on clear ground without rocks or anything. Just a few cuts and bruises, though her knee seemed sprained. She was able to walk back along the trail, though slowly with a bit of a limp. It got worse last night, but better today.

I fantasized about drinking ice cold anything almost the entire time. I'd already gotten a sunburn from the walk up I knew, and there were places with no shade at all on the way back. I was desperate for water when we got back to the car, and we had a little, for which I was thankful. We then came home, drank as much water as we needed, cleaned off all the dust, and went swimming in the pool near where we're staying. Great ending to a difficult--but interesting--day.

Grand Canyon tour tomorrow. Probably no post till the next day, as it's supposed to be a 10-hour trip.

3 comments:

Rev. Maria Dancing Heart Hoaglund said...

What a hike, indeed -- but worth the effort, and pain ;) Love the Red Rock beauty!!!

Edmond Nickson said...

Well, I see that mom and daughter are still up to exploring, which is so you two. Hi, it's Edmond of Whidbey Island.

Heather, it was so good to read your blog on you and Maria's walk in the desert. Wow, kinda reminded me of the year (1979) I spent in Saudi Arabia near Jeddah. The most memorable event was on a drive home from my work on the new Jeddah airport to my trailer where my wife and I were 'billeted'. We were in a strong sand storm when I saw this figure walking in it. And yes it was my wife Carol wanting to feel a Saudi Arabian storm in all its fury. Crazy woman. I joined her in the experience. :-))

And you can send some of that sun up here. It has been the coolest, wettest spring ever. Hugs, Edmond

paperbackdragon said...

Saudi Arabia sounds amazing, Edmund! Good to hear from you, hope you're doing well. :)