Background

3.13.2011

A World In Crisis

So much has happened in the world in the past few months I can hardly comprehend it. Massive protests in the middle east, a devastating earthquake in New Zealand, and massive devastation in Japan from earthquakes, tsunamis, and nuclear crises. I don't go out of my way to read or watch news generally, but lately I've been following more news sites on Twitter and am regularly visiting BBC News and Al Jazeera for their more major stories. I wouldn't have even known about Al Jazeera if it weren't for their coverage of the Egypt protests, and my friend telling me about the site.

Japan's struggling hits home for me. I have relatives that travel there, family friends who have moved there, and a few of my mom's friends from her childhood who she's still in touch with live there. As far as I know they're all faring decently, but it chills me that people I know are so close to such devastation. I'll be hoping and praying Japan makes it through this all right. From what I know about their culture, though, if any country could fully recover after this sort of disaster, it would be Japan.

I've also learned more than I ever expected about nuclear power today, through Wikipedia. These are certainly interesting times.

In completely other news, I have almost all my coursework done except for a group dissertation about our instant messenger project (GIM) and one other class where we're making a mock Twitter+Tumblr site. Can't wait till the next week and a half are over. Then a month break until exams...

1 comment:

Rev. Maria Dancing Heart Hoaglund said...

Good for you, Heather! Nice post... glad to hear that you're keeping track of what's going on in the world, despite all your work! And now, you can relax -- at least for awhile. Hope you're enjoying your gaming :) Love YU (& miss you, 2)! Dancing heart~~~