Background

1.18.2011

A New Happiness

In the past week, I have returned to Scotland, started second term classes at university, and as of two days ago, am "officially" an incredible guy's girlfriend. My life is so different from even a week and a half ago. Time feels like it's speeding up and slowing down at once, and I don't understand it. But it all feels right, somehow. And that's what I'll focus on.

Courses are getting more difficult, deadlines are coming fast (as they always seem to), and this whole not-being-single thing is new and exciting and taking up a lot of my time, offsetting the despair that might come if I sat and considered all I have to do. Though that might be a bit of an exaggeration, since my classes are all at least moderately interesting.

Also, this Thursday I begin my evening writing workshops. It's been a while since I talked with some fellow writers, not including when I informally met with my writing group over Christmas break. And I haven't written anything new in quite a while. It's about time.

As far as this book-a-week challenge, I haven't had much time at all to read in the past week, but thankfully I did read Sleepy Hollow on the plane. We'll see how I get on in the next couple of weeks...

~

Book 2: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by Washington Irving

After seeing the movie with Johnny Depp and the cartoon as a kid, it was intriguing to read the original story. The descriptions were very vivid, and the characters likable. The story was slightly different than what I remember, but that made it more interesting to read.

Again, taking the shorter books to begin this challenge with, I finished this very quickly. It's a very good choice if you're looking for a quick read. It's not just creepy, as you would expect--Ichabod becomes part of a "love triangle," which is very entertaining.

No comments: