Background

10.19.2010

Differences

Classes have been going for a month now. It doesn't feel like it's been that long. Maybe more like two weeks. I'm definitely getting more work to do, but I'm not feeling extreme pressure (yet). Perhaps in the next couple weeks, when I get a few more projects from my teachers...

I've learned a few things (that don't have to do with computer science). The term "candy" is very rarely used here. Instead, "chocolate" or "sweets" is typical. Something I've already mentioned: "chips" means "fries" and "crisps" means "chips." Yeah, confusing. When talking about paper money, a "fiver" (or "tenner") is their equivalent of "five dollar bill," instead of saying something like "five pound note." Also, "can't be arsed" means "can't be bothered." And Irn Bru (popular bright orange soda) is intensely sweet.

The list of things I miss about home is growing, at least food-wise: easily accessible Asian food (including sushi and noodles), Skippy peanut butter, Kraft Parmesan cheese (for pasta), pop tarts, and chocolate chips. I'll probably add to that list over time. I mean, how do they not have chocolate chips? Chocolate "chunks" just aren't the same...

All that aside, Scotland's been good to me so far. Even if it doesn't always feel this way, I'm sure there's more good to come.

2 comments:

Writing Group Andrew said...

No chocolate chips?!
Maybe you're not asking for the right thing.
Have you tried asking for chocolate crisps?

paperbackdragon said...

haha, i'm pretty sure they'd look at me very strangely if I asked for chocolate crisps. at least their chocolate chunks taste decent. if expensive.