Background

9.16.2009

Depths

This past weekend, I went on a photography spree around campus with a couple friends, and our first stop was Wreck Beach, a clothing-optional beach just a short walk from my dorm. While we didn't experience it "fully," when I neared the bottom of the 500-stair trail, I was struck by the smell of the sea. I was nearly moved to tears. I'd realized I hadn't been to the ocean in quite a while, and I was overcome with a strange powerful emotion.

It brought me back to a day at a beach/park in Washington, when I was there with my parents. I was sitting against a log of driftwood, sand in my toes, staring at the grey sea meeting the grey sky in the distance. I took deep breaths of the delicious salty air. I never wanted to leave. I can't explain it. I can't ever explain it to people, it feels like they'd never understand the depth of this emotion. I feel like I have a deep connection with the sea, with the salty water. Maybe a past life, I don't know. And a grey day at the beach is even more alluring than a sunny one, to me. Is it just from growing up in Washington, or is it something more?

Photo: One of the shots I took at Wreck Beach. It was such a gorgeous day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i totally understand how you feel. i always feel this way at the beach, and growing up 20 minutes from the beach you would think this feeling would go away...it's just so moving. i always contribute the feeling to marvel at God's creation, but that's just me. :)