Background

3.06.2008

Morning Pages

I've started an exercise mentioned by the book The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron, called "morning pages." After you wake up, the first thing you do is write three pages (on paper, but I'm modifying it and doing it on the computer). Spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. don't matter, and if you write "I don't know what to write," for three pages, that's fine. Of course, nobody wants to be that monotonous (at least I don't). You can use it to write angry, fearful, worrying things if you want, and it helps to get them out of your head. It leaves room to be more creative, and she says that anyone can do it and it can help in their lives. She said after writing these pages for a while, a character decided to show up and she began writing about him. Sometimes I feel like it's pointless, but that's my inner critic again. I believe anyone (even you!) can do this, and to me it makes me feel good, like I've accomplished something that day already. Just a thought.

Photo: This is a picture of cave walls found at Tonto National Bridge State Park, AZ. The shapes amaze me! It looks like globs of goo, but they're hard as rock.

No comments: