Background

3.21.2008

An Aside About St. Patty's Day

Coincidentally, I was in San Francisco when they were having a Saint Patrick's Day Parade. Interestingly, though, the celebration was on the 15th rather than the 17th. My cousin said the Pope had changed the holiday because it interfered with holy week. Personally, and to show my love for Ireland, I wore my green on the 17th. Nothing against the Pope. This parade was interesting enough, filled with dancers and drummers and even a hurling team. No, it's not what you think; hurling is an Irish sport involving an "axe-shaped stick," like a long-handled paddle, and a small ball they toss between themselves using the stick. The show was complete with a row of police officers on horses decked out in their finest uniforms. I've probably seen better parades than this one, but it was enertaining.

Photo: As we walked around downtown San Francisco, we saw this float, possibly getting ready for the parade. Looking closely, though, I believe it was a tour bus/boat.

No comments: