Background

10.26.2012

Dog Walking

Almost every morning now, I walk my dad's Sheltie, Sara. I've always been a morning person, and these walks help me get outside and enjoy the world when it's quiet. When I take the time to notice things around me--foggy roads, morning dew, squirrels, sun on rare occasions--it feels like they exist just for me. I've been enjoying seeing leaves on the trees turn red and fall to the ground over the course of a few weeks.

Since Sara is getting older, and doesn't get to spend a lot of time outside, whenever she stops to smell something I don't rush her (unless she's being ridiculous). It's been reminding me to enjoy the moment, whatever I'm doing. Especially these days when I'm looking for a job, when there's no telling how busy my day will or won't be, to keep from worrying I do things I enjoy, and live in the moment.

In the words of Sara, take a walk once in a while, and stop to smell the roses. And the grass, and the leaves, and the trees, and the garbage, and the fire hydrants...

No comments: