Background

7.15.2012

Book Review #7: What Is It To Be Known?

Book 7: The Summer of No Regrets, by Katherine Grace Bond

The title and cover may scream "YA romance", and it is that, but it is in no way typical of the genre. Parts of Brigitta's life reminded me of mine, and not just because the story is set in the Pacific Northwest. Her parents own a center for gatherings and frequently host groups of people practicing Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Native American Spirituality, even things a bit more out there. She feels frequently embarrassed by her parents. She has a blog, and a best friend who loves celebrity gossip. And one day, she meets a guy who looks like someone famous--but she doesn't know if he's really Trent Yves. She finds out he lives nearby, and then there's a cougar attack, and... well, I won't spoil it.

I found it very enjoyable. I laughed, I cried, and I got through it quickly. If you're looking for a fun summer read, go for it, but expect the unexpected. It goes deeper than a lot of books in this genre, touching on issues of religion, family, and life in general. I may feel like I've outgrown YA fiction somewhat, but I didn't notice it, reading this book. Maybe you never really outgrow it. If you've never read YA, or never read a romance, I would recommend it as well.

I may be slightly biased, as the author has been a writing mentor of mine for a long time, and I feel she's a lot of the reason I'm still going strong with my novel. But as I am a writer, I can't really help myself scrutinizing books that I read, and I still think this was really well done.

No comments: