Background

6.17.2012

First Impressions

The first week at work, and first full week at my new flat, has been great. I can tell I'm going to be spoiled living here, I won't want anything less when I find a new place at the end of the summer. I had a flatwarming party last night, mostly with friends from university, which was excellent. Good food, good drink, good banter. Not to mention good cookies. I'm probably a bit too proud of them, I should stop mentioning them...

Despite the longer commute than I expected, work has been good and I can tell will continue to be even more enjoyable. After a couple of days being my quiet self, I finally had lunch with my team, met some people from other teams, and was invited out to a couple of different weekly outings. They're all great people. There are even a few guys on an exchange from Japan in our team! I may not have a lot of time to be social in the evenings when I get home, but at least I can be social at work.

The work itself is a bit slow, but it is only the first week, and I'm still learning all the new technologies. I think by tomorrow though, I'll be able to start working on something more concrete. I'll have to skip the details (which may be uninteresting to a lot of you anyway), but suffice to say, the end products the company produces are pretty impressive!

On the long commute I've gotten a lot of reading done, so look out for another book review in the next few days (I hope). And very soon, I'll be showing my parents around Scotland, and finally graduating!

2 comments:

Jeremy List said...

Good luck with your new job! I'm just about to finish my 3 month internship and become an official employee. I'm also transferring back to my company's Shenzhen office soon and I'm pretty excited about that: the commute is a bit longer but I'll be able to live with my fiancée (which kind of trumps everything I enjoy about living here)

paperbackdragon said...

Sounds great! Good luck yourself--but it sounds like you don't need any. :)