Background

8.26.2011

Free Art, Free Time

Surprisingly close to my flat is this gorgeous building, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. It's free to enter and would take the better part of a day to really appreciate everything. I've been in Scotland for almost a year now and hadn't been inside until a few days ago. It's almost a crime... though my friends tell me quite a few Glasgwegians haven't been, either.

Almost everything is in the wings of the building. From ancient Egypt to the history of Glasgow to famous works of art by Van Gogh and Salvador Dali, they've got it all. I enjoyed their extensive collection of stuffed life-size animals and skeletons of dinosaurs, ancient fish, and mammals. My favorite was the Giant Irish Deer. It astounds me to think of deer or elk that huge living not too long ago in Scotland. Look at the size of those antlers!

My boyfriend and I spent about two hours there and didn't get to see everything before it closed. Another trip there soon is likely.

Otherwise I'm trying to think of things to fill the three weeks left of my holiday. There's a nice cafe right across from the museum, called Beanscene. It's a chain in the area, but I love the atmosphere and upbeat music. I'll probably go there occasionally to write and edit my novel. I've been reading quite a bit too, and I have two books I've finished in the last week that I'm going to review. Expect those reviews on my blog in the next week or so. Since I'll be hanging out in my flat so much, and even reading and writing won't fill my time. Perhaps I'll think about a game to get into for a few weeks...

No comments: