Background

6.23.2010

Are We There Yet?

I've been steadily plugging away at revising my novel. It hasn't been a chapter a day like I'd hoped, more like one or two chapters a week, but I'm still getting stuff done. Yesterday I realized I didn't like the name of the wizard in my story so I went to my trusty name website and looked for a good one. I also didn't like the name of the magical door, so I tried looking for a name for that one, too. I've found a wizard name, but not one for the door yet, among other things that need new names. Names are difficult, in that I could spend hours deliberating over one. The best I can do is pick one that moderately works and keep it until someone says it sounds funny.

To get myself in the writing mood, lately my mom and I have gone to a local Starbucks. We split a French press and I have chocolate--I want to drink my coffee black, but I can't drink it without something sweet--and write for a couple of hours. My mom doesn't usually write, just does work-related things. I love the ambiance, I wish I could go there every day. We already go a couple times a week, and I honestly shouldn't be spending too much on coffee and chocolate...

I'm excited that soon, Starbucks will have free internet. I think July 1st is the date. It's true that not having internet on my computer while writing is better for my concentration, but sometimes I have things I want to look up, and really, it's about time. Tully's already does it.

Meanwhile, I've been continuing the search for inexpensive airplane tickets from Seattle to Glasgow. I've found a few, and been watching the prices for a few days. I'll probably buy them soon. I got a luggage set the other day, and it's been sitting in my room like a reminder. It feels a long way off to September, but in no time, my suitcases will be packed and I'll be on my way to Scotland.

Photo: The cover of a book I got at Half Price Books recently. Not the most recent version, but it has maps and a bit of interesting info about Scotland. Always fun to leaf through when I wish I was there already.

No comments: